It was a difficult decision, but our literary staff has chosen three winning pitches:
- The real Puck messes with hearts of teens during high school prod of A Midsummer Nights Dream. @rkmallister
- Young girl wins a TV singing competition, but to launch her career, her agent says she'll need to create a tabloid scandal. @Theatreaneater
- Sweethearts take Course of True Love: zen of snoring, white lies, multitasking, accept shortcomings Profs=historical figures @KennerLeslie
Next Steps: The playwriting portion of the contest is now open! It's your chance to turn one of the three winning pitches into a one-act play.
The Rules: All plays should:
- Be based on one of the three winning pitches
- Be PG-13 or cleaner
- Be comedic
- Feature 8 or more characters
- Run between 20 - 40 minutes
All play submissions should be sent via http://www.playscripts.com/submit and must include #pitchnplay in the Comments or Special Instructions field. Please read the Pitch 'N' Play Submission Disclosure and Agreement before your submit your play.
May 5: Play submissions are closed.
June 5: The winning play is announced!
The Reward: The winning playwright will receive a $1,000 advance against royalties, and his or her play will be published by Playscripts, Inc..
High school drama programs often find themselves in the following situations:
- Twice as many girls audition as boys.
- Budget permits only simple sets and costumes.
- Full cast is not available for every rehearsal (many school plays are episodic, allowing scenes featuring different characters to be rehearsed separately.)
And remember, a great title goes a long way.
Thanks again for your votes and tweets, we look forward to reading your plays.